Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a Director, Monitoring & Evaluation for a potential HIV/AIDS program in Nigeria.
MSH saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information. Working from more than 40 country offices and our Arlington, Virginia, and Medford, Massachusetts, US headquarters, our staff from more than 70 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health. We live our mission to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
The Director for Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) will oversee the design and implementation of a monitoring and evaluation system for assessing progress, and maintaining reporting procedures and guidelines in compliance with USAID systems. The Director for M&E will be expected to develop a strong monitoring and evaluation plan, coordinate the collection of data and data review meetings, monitor the quality and completeness of data sets including conducting data quality assurance (DQA) field visits, and contribute to the development of the program and document project performance against established outputs and indicators. S/he will also be responsible for building the capacity of the Government of Nigeria, Ministry of Health (MOH), and other stakeholders in the collection, analysis, utilization, and dissemination of data as well as ensuring that all monitoring and data collection activities are harmonized and information is shared. S/he will also assist the MOH to monitor programs and assess the robustness of implementing organizations’ M&E systems.
- Design and implement the Project’s M&E system, including the development of indicators, setting targets, monitoring project progress, ensuring timely data collection, writing quarterly and annual reports, and liaising with the project financial team to track the budget in relation to all project results and outcomes.
- Provide technical inputs to the technical team in order to assist in developing program goals and objectives as well as M&E tools and strategies and provide monitoring data to strategically inform decisions on project implementation.
- Support the MOH to develop a health sector M&E framework and monitor health system strengthening interventions.
- Provide regularly updated reports on the status of implementation against the project goals and objectives to the Chief of Party, USAID, and other program managers as required.
- Collaborate with the project team to design a system for documenting project processes and outcomes, and capturing lessons learned and best practices.
- Adhere to MSH procurement integrity and institutional standards and procedures in all project management responsibilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline and at least 8 years of demonstrated experience designing and implementing monitoring and evaluation activities and special studies for complex programs in developing countries is required.
- Excellent command of monitoring and evaluation methodologies.
- Knowledge of issues related to integrated health services and support programs.
- Previous experience implementing and managing a rigorous M&E system including developing performance monitoring plans that track performance by funding stream.
- Knowledge of data collection and data quality assurance (DQA) protocols to ensure accurate data collection and verification is essential, as well as an ability to identify data trends and communicate this information to inform changes in program implementation.
- M&E experience in the health sector desired, particularly in health systems strengthening.
- Operations research experience is desired.
- Past experience leading and building the capacity of M&E officers, including remote and field-based staff, to meet program needs and deliverables is desired.
- Extraordinary organizational, verbal, and written communication skills to manage project communications and disseminate project information are required.
- Excellent skills in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and DHIS2.
- Experience with at least one statistical analysis software is desired (e.g., SPSS, STATA, SAS, R).
- Experience with USAID/PEPFAR programs/projects and reporting requirements.
- Strong written and oral presentation skills in English and general professional proficiency in English required.