The U.S. Embassy in Abuja is seeking to employ suitable and qualified candidate for the position of Northern Outreach English Language Assistant in Public Affairs Section (PAS).
BASIC FUNCTION OF THE POSITION:
The incumbent under the supervision of the Kano public diplomacy officer (PDO), plans, executes, and manages English language and youth outreach programs in Nigeria’s North and Middle Belt, including Abuja. S/he identifies, develops, plans, and executes a youth outreach portfolio for the North, including outreach to secondary schools and occasional courses taught by embassy officers.
To obtain a copy of this announcement please visit our Mission websites at: https://nigeria.usembassy.gov/hr_office.html
NOTE: All applicants MUST address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each criterion or the application will not be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Humanities, Art, Education, Archaeology, or American Studies is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working on educational or professional exchanges, international education and development, civil society/good governance development, public administration, university teaching or counseling, or programs related to increasing cultural, economic, or political ties between Nigeria and the United States/Europe is required.
- Level IV (Fluent) Speaking /Reading/Writing in English is required.
Level III (Good working knowledge) Speaking Hausa Language is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
- Thorough knowledge of education in the United States and Nigeria, as well as Nigeria’s political, media, economic, social, educational structures and institutions is required. Knowledge of how to draft and monitor grants is required.
- Must have the ability to develop and maintain contacts at various levels in cultural, government, civic, religious and business circles.
- Proficiency in computer skills with experience in MS Office suite, excellent communication and writing skills with the ability to type 45 wpm accurately are required. Typing proficiency will be tested.
When fully qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an overall summary rating of “Needs Improvement” or “Unsatisfactory” on their most recent Employee Performance
Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB. Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO: HRNigeria@state.gov **Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.