ONE is a global campaign and advocacy organization co-founded by Bono and backed by nearly seven million people from around the world and every walk of life that are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for the promises made to the poorest, and we press them to support better policies and more effective aid and trade reform. We also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency so these resources can be effectively deployed. ONE has offices in Berlin, Brussels, Johannesburg, London, New York City, Paris and Washington DC.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Policy Officer, Global Health will work as part of the Global Policy team to provide the most up-to-date research, analysis, and strategy development on health issues key to ONE’s mission, including HIV/AIDS, TB, malaria, maternal and child health, and health financing. The Policy Officer will also work closely with ONE’s Africa team in support of ONE’s health advocacy goals, helping to lead the development and implementation of Nigeria-focused health campaigning. This is a full time consultancy that will take place in Abuja, Nigeria with consideration for candidates in Johannesburg, South Africa. This position reports directly to the Policy Director, Global Health.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Build strategic alliances with African civil society and policy organizations focused on health, particularly in Nigeria
- Work with Africa and Global Policy teams to develop a strategy for engaging African governments on health programs and financing
- Spearhead ONE’s engagement in key health events throughout Africa
- Build and/or deepen relationships with health stakeholders, technical agencies, donors, and financing mechanisms, with a particular emphasis on The Global Fund and Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance
- Develop a deeper understanding of specific African countries’ health budgets
- Attend and represent ONE at relevant seminars, workshops, conferences, and community discussions, and consolidate relevant information for consumption by the policy team;
- Contribute research and writing assistance on global health policy issues in support of briefing materials, campaign documents, blogs, and health reports;
- Synthesize policy reports and media coverage on specific issues related to ONE’s policy areas
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in public health, international affairs, public policy, or a related field
- 5-7 years’ work experience, preferably in a policy, advocacy, government, or campaigns role
- Proven understanding of the links between policy, advocacy, and grassroots campaigning
- Demonstrated familiarity with The Global Fund, Gavi, or related health advocacy campaigns
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced global environment with shifting priorities and heavy workloads
- Ability to synthesize policy documents with eye to key points and relevance to ONE
- Excellent English required, with additional French language skills a plus
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment and make good and responsible decisions
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
INTERESTED? LET’S CHAT!
If you think you have what it takes to make an impact, please submit an application, resume, a cover letter (explaining why you are the best person for the job), salary history, AND your desired salary on our jobs. Please be advised that is a rolling recruitment, and that we will conclude the process once the right person has been selected for the job. We thank all candidates for their interest; however we are only able to contact those who we decide to interview. No phone calls please.
Only candidates authorized to work in Nigeria or South Africa without any restrictions need apply.
Would you like to apply to this job?