Job Purpose and Key Deliverables
To Effectively Manage one Shift in each Cell to produce required volume and mix of products on time and in the required quality; drive improvement initiatives to help achieve set manufacturing key performance indicators while optimizing manpower deployment .
- Deliver performance targets as per KPI given on:
- Conversion Cost
- To identify opportunities within the shift by understanding “trends and patterns” that can help achieve improved performance and implement them in consultation with the Cell Manager.
- Ensure the mandatory scheduled product quality checks are carried out on all machines in the Cell with appropraite actions from obsevered defects/faults executed immediately.
- Ensure all shop floor support systems (Talisman, PI&T, Online Quality System) are always functional and fully utilised with any operational issue with the systems escalated appropraitely for immediate resolution.
- Constantly seek to minimise NVA (Non Value Add) processes and employee activities.
- Lead investigation “to Root Cause” of all negatively trending KPIs and develop actions to reverse trend.
- Lead Shift Team through the IWS Phase Journey
- Provide requisite leadership, guidance and direction to the production shop floor team.
- Evaluate the performance of all the shift members identifying strengths and weaknesses and providing constructive feedback. This includes giving the relevant information to the Cell Managers to help in Team Management of each cell.
- Identify strengths & development needs of the shift members and discuss the same with the respective Cell Managers.
- Coach Shift Team and support resources to comply with established standards and document standards for improvements made
- Regularly share with the shift members their performance and other relevant information & changes.
- Create the right working environment in the shift (process awareness, access to information, responsibilities, skills, communication flows) to help ensure the shift consistently achieves its key performance indicators.
- Properly document and escalate all significant incidents/events during the shift including but not limited to people issues, EH&S incidents, material issues, spare part problems, equipment breakdowns, utilities issues.
- Ensures requisite preparation and support is provided to help acheive flawless exceution of planned maintenance, engineering projects, Consumer Product & Testing (CPT) production and New Product Introduction (NPI) projects
- Ensure housekeeping standards are consistently maintened on the production floor in accordance to 5S principles.
- Work effectively with all stakeholders whose activity has direct impact on the shift’s performance.
- Support Cell Manager to foresee possible issues and ensure smooth production process of the cells
- Facilitates and encourages the interaction of the shift members and influence the shift’s objectives & result s
- Su pport the Integrated Work Systems (IWS) way of working.
- Consistently seeks for and encourage shift members’ ideas in respect of possible improvements and their implementation
I. Context / Environment:
The supervisor in summary is expected to coordinate and provide direction to the shop floor personnel, monitor the effectiveness of work done; assure the quality of products made and provide support to all planned tasks including process and performance improvement activities.
The role needs to create an open environment where all shift members can freely generate, discuss, evaluate and deliver their ideas. Emphasis should be put on enabling team members to make their own decisions in respect of not only internal cell processes but also external issues which affect cell operations (materials, tobacco, quality, cooperation with other cells) within the guidelines of the Decision Matrix.
The Factory operates a 3 shift system running 24 hours per day and 7days per week which will require some “out of normal” hours to effectively communicate with all technical teams
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
– Leadership skill, organizational and people management skills are crucial.
– Ability to use Microsoft office tools at basic proficiency level ( MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint and
– Familiarity with structured problem solving tools and ability to prepare clear, concise, and well-organized written reports.
– Coupled with the above, a strong working knowledge of technical training, troubleshooting, and maintenance approaches will be essential to the success of the role
– High degree of inter personal skill will be required to establish credentials and to pass on knowledge and experience to newer team members
– Ability to facilitate meetings and effectively present to small groups is essential.
Key Success Factors:
- Month on month improvement in shift’s KPIs.
- Highly trained and motivated technical workforce.
- Robust systems in place to monitor key performance indicators
- Good working relationships established both internally and with OEM’s.
Internal (Within BAT)
- SMD Cell Managers , PMD Team , Quality Team , Warehouse Team , EH&S Team , Engineering Team , IT Team , HR Team and Finance Team
- Other OpCos, OEM’s, Spare part suppliers
Desirable requirementsWorking at BAT
British American Tobacco (www.bat.com) is a market leading, global organisation with a long, established history and a bright and dynamic future. Thanks to our people we have continued to deliver growth and exceed expectations in an increasingly complex and challenging marketplace.
Our aim is to become the leading tobacco company in each of our markets by providing excellent products with confidence and responsibility expected of global consumer brands.
If you have the talent and motivation to help us succeed you’ll find we are equally committed to helping you reach your full potential too.
British American Tobacco Nigeria (BATN)
How to Apply
Click link above to Apply