We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Team Lead located Abuja, Nigeria.
The purpose of this anticipated eight-year project is to improve the quality of schooling in northern Nigeria in the following states: Kaduna, Kano, Jigawa, Borno, and Yobe. Interventions will be aligned with the following three outcomes 1) More committed and professional teachers; 2) More inclusive and performance-driven schools and colleges.
The Team Lead is responsible for overall aspects of program implementation and performance, both technical and managerial. The Team Lead will manage the Deputy Team Lead, the Finance and Operations Lead, and technical team, with overall responsibility for overseeing coordination across results areas, coordination of decision making across key stakeholders, and supervision of partner organizations. S/he has overall responsibility for the development of the vision, strategy, and technical direction of the project. S/he leads planning and implementation of work plans to ensure quality results. The Team Lead will have overall responsibility in the areas of technical quality, monitoring, evaluation, reporting, operations, administration, logistics, procurement, budgeting, financial accounting, and overall client satisfaction.
Job Summary / Responsibilities
- Responsible for daily oversight and direction of project activities
- Develop and maintain positive relations with Ministry of Education officials and other government counterparts, DfID, local organizations and program partners
- Build capacity of public and private sector institutions to ensure local ownership and sustainability of project activities
- Communicate regularly with DfID to provide updates and progress reports
- Oversee planning and implementation of project activities, including reporting, tracking of Performance Monitoring Plan and implementation of the project work plan
- Supervise project technical and operations teams
- Supervise the recruitment, hiring, and supervision of all local staff and consultants
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work and are subject to modification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree (or foreign equivalent; PhD or EdD is preferred) in education, education policy and planning, public/business administration, international relations, other social sciences, or a similar relevant field
- Minimum of 12 years’ experience managing complex international and donor-funded development projects, preferably with DfID
- At least 5 years of experience in the education sector in West or Central Africa
- Demonstrated experience in project design, policy dialogue, strategic planning and implementation, education reform and national-level quality improvement.
- Experience managing early grade reading programming is required; experience in teacher professional development and community engagement preferred
- Must have demonstrated ability to work in complex environments, work across different cultures, and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required
- Proficiency in oral and written communication in Hausa preferred
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package.